A little planning ahead of your move will keep things simpler. On the day of your move, your mind will be filled with many details. Don't depend on memory or chance! The following lists will help "keep it simple". Click here for a printable version of these checklists (the lists will open in a new window).
30 TO 60 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE:
1 TO 10 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE:
- Get rid of anything you won't want to move into your new location.
- Make an inventory of everything you will be moving. Do this room by room.
- If you don't already have one, make a list of all appliances/devices by model/serial number.
- Notify the post office of your change of address.
- Notify your insurance company that you are moving.
- Arrange to disconnect telephone, water, and electricity from your old location on the day after your move.
- Arrange to have the telephone, water, and electricity connected at your new location on the day of your move.
- Arrange to have appliances disconnected (water, electricity, and gas), as well as chandeliers and other electrical objects disconnected.
- Collect all valuable documents, make copies and place the originals in a safe location. The copies should be placed in another location.
- Give the moving company the exact address where you will be moving to, indicate the major intersections, and if needed, provide them with a rough map.
THE DAY OF THE MOVE!
- Pack suitcases with personal items you will need until the move is completed and you will have had time to unpack.
- Make a list of the items you will take with you in your car. If possible, place them all together in one room.
- Make labels clearly marked DO NOT MOVE for the items that the movers will not be moving. Place them all together in one room.
Things to consider:
- Pack toiletries and other personal items.
- Put the items you will be taking with you in your car in the trunk of the car and lock it.
- Be around the movers: they may have questions that only you can answer.
- When the loading is complete, walk around each room to make sure that nothing has been left behind.
Print these moving tips to help you during your moving process.
Click here to print them out.
For more information or to receive a free estimate, please contact us at 817-737-7800 today.
Some of the cities we serve:
- Summer is "peak" moving season. If you can be flexible about when you move, don't wait until the summer. Also keep in mind that the first and last weeks of the month are extra-busy for all movers.
- Specify the exact date you want to move and when it will be convenient for an agent to visually survey your household and prepare an estimate.
- Tour your house before the agent arrives. Check from attic to basement, and determine what will be moved and what will be discarded. Show your agent everything you will be moving.
- If you plan to do the packing yourself, start collecting suitable containers and packing materials. Set packing goals and deadlines. Have all packing complete by moving day.
- If you are being relocated at your company's request, find out what portion of your moving expenses will be paid by the company. If your company has a written moving policy, ask for a copy.
- Dispose of all flammables such as cleaning fluids, aerosol cans, fireworks and matches. Drain the fuel from your power mower and other machinery. Discard partly used containers of any substance that may leak. Empty the water from your steam iron.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify their value. Don't wax or oil wood furniture before moving, because some products may soften the wood, making it vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
- Unplug all electronic equipment such as television sets, home computers, stereos, etc., 24 hours in advance of a move so they will be at room temperature on moving day. Moving a TV set and other electronic equipment in which heat is still retained could cause internal damage.
Addison, Aledo, Allen, Alvarado, Arlington, Bedford, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Coppell, Dallas, Denton, Desoto, Duncanville, Euless, Farmer's Branch, Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Hurst, Irving, Keller, Lancaster, Lewisville, Little Elm, Mansfield, McKinney, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Rockwall, Rowlett, Southlake, The Colony, Wylie and more.