Moving is a stressful time for anyone. There’s never enough time to get everything done, and sometimes it seems like every time you check one item off the to-do list, two more appear. However, small things can add up quickly in terms of time and money, especially when you hire movers. Follow these quick packing tips that can really help ease the moving process.
- Use color coded labels to mark off the rooms for boxes, tubs and other storage containers. You can also use color-coded markers. When possible, mark the top of each box and on at least two side.
- Centralize boxes in one room or in one location in each room, especially in larger rooms.
- Larger boxes are for lightweight, bulky material and smaller boxes are for heavier items.
- While the cost may be more per box, dish packs with inserts can be a life saver, especially for nice dishes.
- Use the bottom of wardrobes for other lightweight, bulky items or shoes.
- Hire professional packers if you don’t have the time to do it yourself.
Preparing for the move goes beyond packing tips and getting your boxes ready. There are other quick things that can be done to speed up and ease the move.
Preparing for Moving Day
- Prepare the kids. Pack a small bag with clothes and other items for the day of the move and if possible, have them stay with family and friends.
- This goes the same for pets. Everyone loves Fido, but you don’t want dogs or cats getting tangled up in the feet of your movers while they’re carrying your antique dresser down the stairs.
- Clean off and organize your items such as nightstands, dressers and chest of drawers.
- If you can take apart beds, unhook water lines and other minor disassembly work, do so. A few minutes here and there always add up to savings.
- Have a plan for where your items will go and a back-up plan in case items don’t fit or you don’t love it like you thought you would. If you’re in between homes or storing items before a move, choose the storage option before hiring movers.
Moving is one of the most stressful times for anyone. Hiring a professional moving company can ease the stress and pain involved in the move and save you heartache of broken or damaged items or worse yet, ruined friendships from asking your friends to help you move.